Tuesday 4 February 2020

Teaching Free Motion Quilting for the Whistler Valley Quilters



 I had a wonderful time teaching for the Whistler Valley Quilters' Guild in early November.
Though a relatively small guild of just under 50 members they are an extremely dynamic and talented group with a busy program that includes community quilts, a wide range of workshops, trunk shows, one day "mini" retreats, library and an annual retreat lasting four or five days.

Our classes were held in the Is Tken Hall of the wonderful
Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre.
This is a round room with wrap around windows, perfect lighting and a view of the stunning northerly mountain ranges and Lost Lake Woods.
I can safely say that this the most beautiful and spiritual venue that I have ever taught in.

The cultural center also contains three galleries containing historic and contemporary artifacts from the Squamish and Lil'wat Nations, guided tours, multiple venues for community and private events, a First Nations gift shop, onsite catering and the Thunderbird Cafe featuring an Indigenous inspired menu.

I was treated to lunch daily (thank you Sarah) from the cafe and the food was fabulous.

Day 1 - Fun with Free Motion Quilting

Our first day of classes was "Fun with Free Motion Quilting".

This class is for anyone who has wanted to learn how to free motion quilt or for those who have tried and want to expand their skills.  
During class we explore correct body positioning, how to set your machine tension, correct needle / thread / design combinations, layering and correct hand positioning for successful stitching. 
Students stitch a small sampler of several designs including loops, spirals, stars, flowers, stippling and hearts with emphasis on stitch length, tension and comfort with stitching in all directions. 



Drawing the design first for easy stitching

Doing some wonderful stitching on Day 1

All the participants were super enthusiastic. We had such fun!

Look at this lovely stitching. 

Jordan is doing a great job.
Free Motion Quilting really is fun!

All of the stitching samplers were beautiful !




After a very successful day one several of the ladies treated me to a lovely dinner at the Attic at 21 Steps. The company, atmosphere and the food were all fabulous. What a treat! Thank you ladies.

Day 2 - Botanical Quilting Made Easy

The morning of  day 2 in Whistler was beautifully crisp and clear.
Everyone arrived at class well rested and eager to learn.

In "Botanical Quilting Made Easy" students learn a variety of  organic free motion quilting designs inspired by nature such as fanciful leaves, vines, ferns and flowers. 
These designs look wonderful as a background fill or overall design on batiks, art quilts, children’s quilts and more.

Stitch them small with blending thread for a more traditional look or go big and playful with all your fancy threads.                                                                          
Thread choice (colour, type and weight) to enhance design are discussed as students stitch a small design sampler.

A quick demonstration of Botanical Free Motion Quilting  - wish this was my sewing room!


I"m always inspired by how quickly students can progress with just two days of class and just look at how much fun they're having!

Liking Botanical quilting

Enjoying stitching Botanical vines and leaves

This is really fun!

Great combination leaves and tendrils

Look at all the fabulous stitching!

Lovely leaves and climbing vines


Echo quilting adds detail

Having fun stitching Wisteria 

Chrysanthemums and leaves


Wonderful Wisteria

Fabulous leaves and vines

Everyone did such a wonderful job!

Doing a wonderful job

Creating the Wisteria flowers

I'm so proud of everyone!


I have to thank Sarah for doing such a great job of organizing our classes.


Another huge thank you to Sarah, Earnest and Miss Simone for their kind hospitality in welcoming me into their home and taking such wonderful care of me!

At the end of class Sarah and the group presented me with this beautiful glass candle holder
created by Michael Forbes.
It has a deep personal meaning and I will cherish it always!


Student Work


Free motion quilted by Anita Winkle


Within a few weeks of our class I received a lovely E mail from Anita which she has graciously allowed me to share.
In it she writes; 

"I attended your two day workshop in Whistler in November. I had previously only done a little free motion but only as an absolute last resort. Well, during your class I discovered that this was indeed a technique that I could do. 
Imagine my surprise! 
 So I am writing to show you the 4 panels that I bought a few years ago but never made into the pillows partly because I could not imagine how I would quilt them. 
Well here they are quilted with a meandering star pattern that I learned from you. 
I love them. I am loving FMQ. 
I do not know if I am willing to do an actual quilt but certainly these panels were a lot of fun to quilt."

You did a beautiful job Anita and rest assured, you're more than ready to use your new found skills to quilt a full sized quilt !




No comments:

Post a Comment